Marriage Licenses


Appointments are strongly encouraged.

Applications for a marriage license are accepted at Goodhue County Government Center, 509 W. 5th Street, Red Wing, MN.

Marriage Licenses

Application Requirements

Applicants must apply in person and provide a driver's license or other identification card issued by a government entity.

Both people must apply in person. If one of the applicants cannot appear in person, please contact the Recorder's office to discuss your options.

You must have a license purchased before getting married. A license purchased in Minnesota is only valid in Minnesota and can not be used in any other state. A marriage license must be used within six months or it expires.

For each person, you must know the full legal name, address, date and place of birth, telephone numbers and social security numbers (if you have one). And you will need to know your legal name after marriage.

Applicants that have a felony conviction will not be able to change their name through the marriage application process. If a name changed is desired, you will need to go through the court name change process. Minnesota Statue 259.10 has the requirements for a MN resident to apply for a name change through the court. Minnesota Statue 259.13, subd. 5 allows a person with a felony conviction to apply for a name change through the court for no fee if the person files within 180 days after the marriage.



The fee is $115. We accept cash, checks, money orders or credit cards. Checks and money orders can be made payable to Goodhue County Recorder.

If you have completed 12 hours of special premarital counseling as specified in paragraph B of  Minnesota Statues 517.08 subd. 1b, you may be eligible for the reduced marriage license application fee of $40 instead of $115. Proof of Counseling must be presented at the time of application. A marriage license is to be used within six months.

Marriage Records

Marriage records can be searched on the Minnesota Official Marriage System (MOMS). Goodhue County Recorder's office has marriage records dating from 1856 to present for those applicants who have applied for their marriage license in Goodhue County.

Requesting a Certified Copy of a Marriage Record

A certified copy is $9. Copies of marriage records can be requested in person or by mail.

Online: Complete our Marriage Record Request form and pay your copy fee online via the email confirmation link.  Each certified copy is $9. For help determining your copy fee, please call our office.

By Mail: Complete the request form and mail a check or money order to Goodhue County Recorder's Office. For help determining your fee please call our office.

Marriage Record Request Form (online) Marriage Record Request Form (pdf)



Birth Certificates Death Certificates Marriage Licenses Marriage Officiant Credentials Land Notification Alerts Document Recording Checklist LandShark MN Department of Commerce Minnesota Association of County Officers Notary Public Online Payments Plats & Maps FAQ Department Home
Goodhue County Government Center
509 W. 5th St.
Red Wing, MN 55066
Building Map
All content ©2024 Goodhue County, MN. | Copyright Notices | Accessibility